deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks

I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks - Gina Sheridan You can tell from checking my million updates on this book whether you'll like it or not. My husband surprised me with a copy -- no special occasion, he just knew I'd love it -- so I wanted to share the wealth.

There were two awesome anecdotes that were too long to share as updates. This one made my son do a spit-take:

PATRON: [Gestures at son.] He doesn't like to read, but he needs a biography. It has to be more than one hundred eighty pages.

ME: Do you know if autobiographies count? Hole in My Life is a pretty engaging story.

PATRON: What's it about?

ME: Well, Jack Gantos is a Newbery-winning children's author now, but when he was a teen he ended up in jail.

PATRON: [Snatches book out of my hand.] No. No. Absolutely not. I want something Christian.

ME: Well, uh...he learns a lot from being in jail and ends up being a writer who doesn't commit any more crimes.

PATRON: What about Anne Frank? (note from reviewer: my son was taking a drink of water as I read to him, and almost choked when I said this. "It gets better," I told him, and continued.) Do you have anything about Anne Frank? He'd like that, right? It's got trapdoors and secret passages?

o_O

I want to file this last story wherever Dewey keeps "straight, priorities":

MAN: Them's toilet is broke.

ME: Pardon me?

MAN: Yer toilette...it's broke.

ME: Oh! Is it not flushing? Did it overflow or...?

MAN: It 'pears someone put a Pabst down that thang.

ME: Beer?

MAN: Yar. A can of it.

ME: I'll go check it out.

MAN: Waste of a beer, y'ask me.

ME: Yessir.

:D

Keep this book in mind the next time you need to buy a gift for someone. It's the kind of book even nonreaders will enjoy.