deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman Flawless. That is, unless you're deeply and humorlessly religious, in which case you'll want an emergency bucket of holy water nearby to douse this book in after -- or possibly while -- you read it.

Do Protestants do holy water, btw? I always thought that was a Catholic thing. Then again, I thought Lent was only for Catholics, too, and then my Proddy friends started mentioning what they gave up for Lent and I was all, "Actually, I think giving up chocolate for a whole month is going a little overboard, you know? I mean, Jesus suffered, but not like that," and then they stopped talking to me so I never had the chance to ask them about the holy water. Which is sad -- partly because I really want to know, and partly because I just now realized that they might have thought I was being sarcastic about the Lent thing. Which, excuse me, I WASN'T. Chocolate is important. And by important, I mean "why I bother getting up in the morning, when I bother getting up at all."

Anyway. My Catholic friends don't have to stock up on holy water if they want to read this book, because my Catholic friends have awesome senses of humor. Ditto my Mormon friends. And my friends who go to hip and groovy Christian churches -- UU, Lutheran, Jesus Thinks You're Awesome So Why Not Return The Favor House Of Worship And Free Coffee. Oh, and my Jewish and Buddhist friends will laugh their bits off reading this book.

That's a lot of people, come to think of it. I know I've left someone out of the equation. Is it Southern Baptists who'd set me on fire for admitting I loved a book that features a demon and the anti-Christ as sympathetic characters? I don't know. I can never keep track of everyone who thinks I've got a one-way ticket to Hell.

If you're on that list, don't read this book. You'll spend the whole time frowning. Life is hard enough. You don't need that.

Anyway. Everybody who has enough of a sense of humor to read a really funny, brilliantly written book about the Biblical end of the world, please grab this. Everybody else, just remember who gave you fair warning.

And now I need some chocolate. I mean, I've been awake for almost an hour.