deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

Evernight

Evernight - Claudia Gray Holy. Freakin'. COW.

I've been enjoying the reading I'm doing as research for the agents I'd like to query about my own novel. I liked this book more than most from the beginning. It hooked me right in. But it was just a pleasant read, one I was going to give a resounding thumbs-up on Goodreads and then get on with my life.

And then I got about halfway through.

I've read good YA novels. I've read fun paranormal works. And I've read some great surprise endings (the twist in the last Hunger Games novel blew me right out of the water).

What I haven't encountered in as long as I can remember is a stunning surprise MIDDLE.

I literally jaw-dropped. Had to run down the hall and tell my husband (since I knew he wouldn't be reading it, so it's not like I was ruining it for him) what this writer had pulled off.

I'm not telling you any more. I stayed up late to finish this book and then checked my library's online catalogue to make sure that there were sequels. (There are three -- woohoo!) So I'm tired.

Just read it. I don't care how old you are, or if you're a boy or a girl. Read it and see if the middle trips you the way it did me.

Claudia Gray is so good, I'm almost not even jealous.