deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

The Girl on the Train: A Novel

The Girl on the Train: A Novel - Paula Hawkins The short review: Fangirling. Just totally could not get enough of this story. Stayed up late reading and then got up early to read. ON A SUNDAY, PEOPLE. Sleeping until 9:00 has been my idea of church for years now. NOT TODAY. Read this while I was brushing my teeth and washing my face. Wanted to take it with me on my jog. Resented "having" to go to a concert I was lucky enough to get free tickets to – yes, the music was exquisite, but why did it have to be playing today when I HADN'T FINISHED THIS BOOK YET? Holy carp, what a rollercoaster.

The more coherent review: The writing reminds me a lot of Shirley Jackson, which is the highest compliment I can give. The structure is innovative, and Paula Hawkins knows how to give out just enough information to keep you running after more, but doesn't tease so mercilessly that you want to throw the book across the room.

It wasn't just the plotline that kept me glued to this book. (I'm barely exaggerating about that glue. I took it with me in my purse to that concert so I could read during the intermission, and actually tried to prop it up in such a way that I could read while I was making the bed. That's a cry for help, folks.) It was the way Hawkins forced me to rethink and reexamine all my assumptions about the various characters. This story goes way beyond anything as simple as an unreliable narrator. THE WORLD is unreliable. Until it isn't. Until the right people have the courage to look squarely at what's in front of them, instead of being distracted by what they want to believe.

I am out of my mind over this book, and I'm afraid that'll ruin it for some readers because come on – how could it live up to this kind of hype? (I tried to read while shaving my legs. In the tub, with shaving cream and a new blade in my razor. I'm almost sad that didn't kill me, because it would have made one hell of an obituary.)

So don't read The Girl on the Train just because I raved about it. Check out a few pages and see if it grabs you.

I'm just saying, every once in a while a book goes bestseller because it's really, really good.

P.S. Don't forget to reread the first couple of pages immediately after you finish this novel. Paula Hawkins pulls a bit of The Sound and the Fury action at the beginning of GOTT – not enough to drive a reader nuts, just enough to keep you wondering.