deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

The Birds' Christmas Carol

The Birds' Christmas Carol - Kate Douglas Smith Wiggin They had intended to name the baby Lucy, if it were a girl; but they hadn't expected her on Christmas morning, and a real Christmas baby was not to be lightly named -- the whole family agreed in that.

They were consulting about it in the nursery. Mr. Bird said that he had assisted in naming the three boys, and that he should leave this matter entirely to Mrs. Bird. ...Uncle Jack said that the first girl should always be named for her mother, no matter how hideous the name happened to be.

Surprisingly adorable, considering its subtitle ought to be "A Tale From Preachytown, by Sermon McGodsalot." I had to ding it a star for having a very long section in the middle consisting of nothing but dialogue supposedly representing how thems thar pore peeple tocks in 19th-century New England. (Think Little Women, only scarier. And don't look at me like that -- I love Little Women. But Hannah's dialogue makes me bleed from both eyeballs.)

Spoiler-laden summary: Angelic white girl is born on Christmas day, sustains a nonspecific crippling illness in her early childhood, is nice to poor people for a day, and dies just in time to ruin the New Year for her family.