deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances

The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances - The Oatmeal, Matthew Inman Pardon the half-arsed review, but it's Christmas day and I'm high on chocolate.

This is a great "Oatmeal" book even if you don't run, but it's terrific if you do. It was nice to have independent verification on the fact that running sucks when you first start, and doesn't start to feel good until you've been moving for at least half an hour. After that, the endorphins start kicking in and you can actually start to enjoy yourself.

It also has some great advice for anyone, like:

Don't try to change a bunch of habits at once. "Tomorrow is the start of a new me! I'm going to wake up at 5 a.m. and run ten miles and go on a diet and quit smoking!" Giving up smoking is hard. Waking up early is unnatural. Dieting is frustrating. Running hurts. When you combine these goals into a single four-legged beast, all it takes is one of those legs to buckle and everything crashes down.

And:

If you find yourself debating whether or not you should go exercise, it means you have the time and the means, you're simply talking yourself out of doing something difficult.

And that stings with the ouch of truth.

This isn't a running guide, though. It's a "change your life if it needs changing" story.

Also, there's some awesome creepy info about Japanese giant hornets, a.k.a. "Giant Sparrow Bees."

Good quirky fun, and definitely worth checking out.