deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants

Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants - Matthew Inman, The Oatmeal YES! I wised up and am writing this as a Word document first, and will then copy and paste my finished review and GOODREADS WON’T BE ABLE TO FREEZE UP ON ME WHILE I’M TYPING! WOOHOO!

(Probably as soon as I try to transfer this text, my laptop will be struck by lightning just to teach me a lesson about being a smart arse.)

Anyway.

The Oatmeal is an awesome comic. “The Oatmeal” is also the most enigmatic food-related name for a comic since “Peanuts,” and I have no idea how either of them landed their respective monickers. But I digress.

This is the most recent Oatmeal collection, and if you like the comic, you should get Grizzly Bears, because there’s plenty of new, never-before-seen, not-available-fer-free-on-the-Internet material.

If you’re not familiar with The Oatmeal, read some online first. It’s very weird, and I say that with all possible love and admiration. But you know how it is with humor: the more chances it takes, the more likely it is not to please. (Read: massively offend.) And The Oatmeal takes pretty much every chance available.

For instance: Grammar nerds and supporters of gay rights will enjoy The Oatmeal’s “What it means when you say literally.” People who love Jerry Falwell and were unmoved by the recent inclusion of “figuratively” in the dictionary definition of “literally” will literally want to stab this comic in its figurative eyeballs.

It’s hard to pick “bests” when it’s all brilliant; but I think my favorite line from this collection is when Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal’s creator) describes trying to sit down on a paper toilet seat cover before it gets stolen by the automatic flush as “like playing nude musical chairs with Skynet.” If that sentence hits your humor sweet spot, you should grab this collection (and the previous Oatmeal collections, while you’re at it) without delay. If it doesn’t work for you – well, there’s always “Peanuts.”