deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

The Miserable Mill

The Miserable Mill - Lemony Snicket I've already read this on the page, and just now listened to the recorded edition, which is read by the author. If Snicket himself had read the entire series, I would have simply enjoyed it; but it's horribly unfair to ask *any* reader to follow Tim Curry, who read the first two books. Snicket's reading is sweet and heartfelt; it's just that Curry's is brilliant, especially when it comes to Count Olaf. Also, I think it's fair to say that Snicket writes with a British accent but speaks with an American one, so the Curry reading works better in that respect as well.

I do love the songs Snicket wrote to accompany each volume, which he also sings. (I think he also plays the accordion.)

If you haven't yet read these books, I don't know what on earth you're waiting for. They're every kind of delightful. They're humorous and cleverly plotted, and they offer the occasional lesson without being preachy. Plus they're quick reads. If you're short of time, you could devour the entire series over the course of a long weekend. So do it, already.