deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths - Ingri d'Aulaire, Edgar Parin d'Aulaire, Michael Chabon (UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I wrote this review around the time the awesome Loki movies started being released. Way too much focus on his boring blond brother in those, am I right?)

It took me a long time to come around to the idea that the Norse myths could be compelling. Even dating a guy who was crazy about them didn't help. They just seemed so solemn and manly, especially compared to the Greek gods. I could imagine falling into their world. But the Norse names were weird, and the women were utterly unmemorable. (Okay, except for Hel.)

Now I can see the appeal. I especially appreciate the poignancy of gods who know their days are numbered. Ragnarök is a brilliantly devastating idea. Oh, and the world tree with a dragon gnawing at its roots.

I read this D'Aulaires' book with my son, but I'm going to find another collection and read it on my own if he's not interested in going along for the ride. Turns out those Norse myths are pretty cool.