deborahmarkus7

James W. Loewen
Gone with the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion Since I read this as an audiobook, I can't go back and share any quotes. [UPDATE: I have since wised up and started routinely checking out library print copies of my audio fare.] Which is a shame, since Warm Bodies is unexpectedly poetic for a zombie novel. It's also quite humorous.

If you've seen the movie: The book is significantly different enough to be worth a go. The relationship between R and Julie's boyfriend is deeper and more important in the book than in the movie. The "boneys" are symbolic of unquestioned religious authority in the book, rather than the pure evil of a complete loss of humanity they symbolize in the movie.

Surprisingly, Hollywood's take on this story is more feminist than the novelist's. In the book, when R first sees Julie, she's crouched down and her boyfriend's trying to protect her. In the movie -- well, anyone who's seen it remembers that wonderful slow-mo moment when R is dazzled by Julie swinging her weapon with an expert hand and a ferocious glare.

Similarly, in the novel the narrator constantly refers to Julie's physical fragility, and is charmed by it. In the movie, R admires and relies on Julie's strength.

The book is bleaker but still has a happy ending -- not quite as rosy as the movie's, but philosophically along the same lines. Both book and movie are very concerned with the human causes of the zombie plague, and in both book and movie the science is pretty much nonexistent and you really shouldn't care. It's all symbolism and a sweet story of love among the corpses. Just relax and enjoy the ride.